'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Sunday, January 22, 2017

RESPECT












Following the weekend of the inauguration, the Women's March, and a powerful gathering of women organized by one of my high school classmates, some of the most poignant words I heard were those of a man:
 
"...Gotdangit, I'm tired...I'm tired of women who are being celebrated without acknowledging the incredible durability, genius, and creativity of what Black women have done...transformative women...their commitment to our people, their commitment to our world, their humanitarian and entrepreneurial efforts...I'm tired of the "bitch", "ho", "skeezer", "slut", "hoodrat", "chickenhead"...I'm tired of the demonization of women...I understand that you say that's the word you use because you choose to do it--and don't get it twisted, men in my generation used the same words, but we had the good enough sense not to go in public and celebrate our rhetorical pathology by demonizing the very women whose wombs we have taken our life. 
Start being respectful to Black women." 
~Michael Eric Dyson

No comments:

Post a Comment