'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

CURRENT EVENTS: CRY ALOUD





















Of COURSE I've thought about it! 
I've asked God about it. I even asked him to tell me what to think.
I'm a singer.
I'm a fan of REAL singers who don't rely heavily on technology.
I'm a Christian. I believe in someone who went about his entire life doing good.
I'm a believer in the authenticity of the Bible, (and the stories are better than anything on TV).
I'm a big, grateful fan of the New Covenant (Whew!!! Sure needed that!)
I'm a happy recipient of the grace of God--grace that I believe is available to everyone who embraces John 3:16.

I'm an owner of a dictionary who's sure that "whosoever" really means "whoever"; "whatever person"...wherever they are.

I'm a user of social media.
I'm a fan of clever comedy.
I'm a mother.
I have a daughter.
I'm proud of successful, independent women in any field. It's inspiring.

I'm a fan of the First Amendment, freedom of speech and religion. 
I don't want anybody telling me what I can and can't say, or what I ought to believe or embrace.
I'm a fan of people who help others in meaningful, thoughtful, life-changing ways--(in ways that churches should, but don't).
I like talk shows.
I know what it is to be ostracized.
I don't like to see anyone hurting, misunderstood, or treated unfairly. 
I don't like bullies. 
I don't like discord, but one must know that in a world where people's beliefs are diverse and passionately held, one's words may be--no--WILL be met with opposition. 

What one believes is right and true for oneself, may not be accepted by others, no matter how right one thinks it is. 

I keep hearing "Holiness is right!". 
I wonder if the people who are constantly screaming that, are talking about the holiness of the Living God (against which no one should dare measure themselves) or their man-made, oppressive, imperfect denominations, entertainment centers, and family businesses which masquerade as houses of God. (Yeah. I said it. God has long since abandoned so many places and we don't even care or notice.) 

We will NEVER be as holy as God is. NEVER. 
There is not a righteous individual on this planet. Not one. 
The fact that God wants anything to do with mankind astounds me. We have so misused, poisoned, abridged, embellished, and polluted his plan with our agendas and ideas, that it is unrecognizable.  
God sent his Son into the world that the world through HIM (not us with our bad, sanctified, choreographed, fashionista, inconsistent, flawed, cliche-having selves) might be saved.

One of these days, we're going to read the ENTIRE list of what God hates. We're going to find ourselves, and stop harping on the vices of others that we think are worse than ours.  
We're going to stop categorizing sin as if, in God's estimation, any one is better, or more horrendous than another. 
One day we're going to stop reading the Bible with a searchlight and a highlighter for other people, but with a sharpie, blinders, and a pair of scissors for ourselves.

What if our lives suddenly went on display? 
What if, one day, totally out of the blue, our lives showed up on everyone's laptops, and smart phones, and everyone could see our private selves? Would we see the person who shows up at church, or another individual entirely? 
NO ONE is consistently standing on the WORD. 
EVERYONE is wretched and filthy. 
Every day demands that we repent of something, even if it's just an idle thought. 
Everyone is, and was in desperate need of Christ's finished work. 
If people think they're perfect and righteous, and therefore highly qualified to pick apart the lives of others, they're LIARS. 
I think the most qualified people to help others, are those with experience; those who have acknowledged their own need, and continuing need for help, and give credit to the source of that help for keeping them on track.

We ALL needed God's amazing gift. We can't, and are not equipped to fix ourselves. It stands to reason why we should always pray for our leaders because they are not perfect, and by all means check our motives, represent well, and watch what we say about others.

People are either furious with, or rallying behind two women who, I'm sure don't hate one another at all--who probably admire certain aspects of one another, but they are diametrically opposed in their beliefs and lifestyle. 

We learn what we live. 
We are products of our environments and experiences. 

Can ANYBODY tell me what Black church you EVER attended that didn't rage against the dangers of THE BIG THREE: Sex, Drugs, and Alcohol? Can you name ANYONE who, if they're honest, hasn't been tripped up, sidelined, snookered, or destroyed by one, or ALL of them? Have all of the accusations flowing across pulpits been confessions and projection?

I don't think there was a free speech issue. I think it was personal.
I also think a business decision had to be made: How do you continue to promote an important film, and hang on to vital relationships, while distancing it all from an argument that's as old as dirt itself?

But look what happened. The mere mention of the singer's name on the talk show STILL gave her publicity-- and someone said "No publicity is bad". Today, people who had no idea who the singer was; people who had never heard that absolutely incomparable, freak-of-nature, one-of-a-kind voice of hers, NOW know who she is. 
They know her name...and they've googled it...and listened to YouTube videos...and have no doubt, purchased music. There are a whole lot of people who'll never say it out loud, but they feel exactly as she does. She has new fans today.

Some people have NO difficulty separating the artist from the Art. Some people don't care if their favorite artist is a serial killer, as long as those played, or sung notes land properly. 
(Frankly, I'm waiting for someone to invite her to sing at the inauguration. I hear they're having trouble booking acts. You know how people do. They'll dog you one day, but rally around you QUICKLY the next day if they think you have a common enemy.

Okay.

*sigh*

Television shows are not churches or religious organizations. 
One day, we're going to learn that, and stop expecting backstage antics to be holy and righteous just because church folk happen to be involved. 
We're going to stop putting people in boxes and restricting their reach. We're going to stop thinking that anything with the word "gospel" affixed to it is Bible-based. 
TV shows and award shows? They are not subject to denominational rules or theological tenets. It's BUSINESS. 

A talk show host in a unique position of ownership, is the final authority, and will be held responsible by her audience for the green lights she gives. We have only to look back at what happened to her sitcom during a not so liberal time in U.S. and entertainment history. 
She understands oppression, shame, intolerance, and hatred. 
She understands bigotry, and how the person in charge can either make or break you. 
She knows what people do based on their preferences, influences, and who's making the greatest investment. She knows that money talks. 

No matter how you couch words, or say you're speaking the truth in Love, they can still offend someone who doesn't share your beliefs. They can still sound like an attack, or hate speech to someone who has been deeply hurt or rejected-- for whatever reason. 
The offended party, Ellen Degeneres, was hurt badly--publicly--and after a while, was able to rebuild--and own
She is now calling the shots. Why on EARTH would she share her platform with Kim Burrell, anyone else, or anything even remotely akin to, or in favor of her past humiliation? 
 
If I become aware of how you feel about me and people like me, NOT secondhand, but because I heard you make it abundantly, loudly, repeatedly, and publicly clear, why should I--no-- why WOULD I allow you to come to MY house, occupy the best room, and shine? Why? 
To see how gracious, diplomatic, and professional I can be? 
To give you a chance to ambush, embarrass, or preach to me? 
If you DON'T approve of me or my choices, WHY would you even seek, want, or consent to come to my house and stand on my porch...or my ROOF, and benefit from my hospitality? 
Why would you be surprised if my friends defend my decision to keep you as far away from me and my neighborhood as possible?

Every platform is not for you, no matter how popular or enriching it may be. When you take your toys to another person's playroom, don't be surprised if they expect you to play by their rules. 
If you're disappointed or bewildered that you weren't allowed to participate in an arena inundated by people you despise, don't understand, fear, or oppose, perhaps you should check your beliefs AND motives. 
People ought to know what they're going to get when they call on you, and it ought to be consistent. 
You know what YOU will, and won't tolerate, so why test it? 
Why expect others to understand and tolerate you?

The presidential election has demonstrated that there is no shortage of people who will support ANYTHING and ANYONE without thinking, educating themselves, utilizing reason or wisdom. But of course, that's my opinion. Some people are beside themselves with joy. See? 
People really are as enthusiastic about their views as I am about mine--and they have that right. This of course, is America
We all say we love it, and for reasons as diverse as the stars. 
Some of us see its faults. 
Some see those faults as necessary to maintain a certain status quo. 
Some of us think America is for all of us. Some of us think that it is ours alone, and others should go back where they came from-- without realizing that they, and their ancestors came from one of the 50 states. How DID we get so selfish in this land supposedly founded upon Biblical principles and the desire for freedom? 
But I digress...

What each individual should do, is examine him or herself. 
God doesn't even demand loyalty or compliance to his Word. 
Even He gives us all a choice to believe and embrace Him or not. What we must remember, if we truly believe his Word, is that the consequences of our choices are real, God doesn't play favorites, doesn't change, and his patience is greater than ours.  
He gave me time to say "Yes". 
Why would I think he wouldn't extend the same grace to someone else?

Anyone bragging that they are living holy as a result of their own steam and discipline, is a liar. This walk is a daily, hourly one. 
Apart from God's revelation, grace and faith we wouldn't even be able to acknowledge that he even exists, so we REALLY must stop puffing ourselves up as perfect, better than, and superior just because we go to church, or can quote a few scriptures. 
Discerning people know better, and thanks to the wonderful world of social media, many find the church especially amusing, bizarre, powerless, superficial, disjointed, and inconsistent. 
We have to represent God better. 
I fear we are turning away more people than we are embracing. 
But how can one authentically represent someone that one doesn't know? 
If we really knew and respected God, we'd cut out a whole lot of stuff we've deemed necessary.

Self-righteousness, lying, and hypocrisy are problems. It would be like me declaring, "I don't like popcorn! Popcorn is evil! I've NEVER liked popcorn. People shouldn't even touch that!" 
It would only take a few nanoseconds for a whole slew of shocked people to refresh my memory for me. They'll whip out photos of me holding a ginormous tub in a movie theater. They'll spin tales from their personal experience of watching me purchase, pop, butter, shape into balls, or shovel handfuls of it into my mouth. They'll show me proof of myself indulging in the very thing I said I reject, and about which I harshly judge others. I would then, have to explain myself, and shamefully repent.

Crying aloud, too, has consequences. 
We really have to mind how we go after others, and not be surprised when they push back. 
Everyone who knew you "when" is neither deceased nor brain dead.  
When you mount ANY soapbox, someone who knew you "when" will be poised to expose and topple you, especially if they have a transcript from your past that contradicts everything for which you say you currently stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment