'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

TUESDAY THOUGHTS: FIND THE GOODE

When I was a kid, my Mom had a strict routine, when it came to cleaning up the kitchen, that included taking out the trash. It has stuck with me to this day.

I'd emptied the kitchen can, and replaced the old bag with a fresh one last night, but woke up and remembered the trash cans and recycle bin were still in the garage. 
Tuesday is trash pick-up day. Whatever remains on this Tuesday will be there, morphing into an science project until next Tuesday.
(Once per week trash pick-up in Prince George’s County, a.k.a Racoon Land/ Deer Park was a lousy idea in my opinion.)

I could hear the sound of the truck. It was close.

Just because yesterday felt like Sunday, doesn't negate that today is Tuesday. Since I no longer have a Friday option, I ran (Yes. Me.) up the stairs, saw the garage door opener on the table and pressed it, figuring it would save precious seconds while I headed out of the kitchen door to grab the cans. 
When I turned to drag the cans out, there was the guy from Goode. The driver had stopped. I guess the guy who rides on the back of the truck saw me looking like a troll and scrambling to get the bags out of the cans. 
I don't know how many times I said, "Thank You!" He smiled and said, "No problem, Ma'am". 
I didn't even have to drag the cans down the driveway. He'd walked up, took the bags, asked me if that was all I had, and headed back to the truck.
When they didn't see the cans at the curb, they were well within their rights to keep it moving, but they didn't. 

There are things that some people could do to be helpful, when they see others struggling, but don't. Their reasons may be valid, legal, or based on common sense. They've decided they don't want to, don't have time to, or don't have to. Maybe you've demonstrated too well that you do "have it", and the perception is that you don't need or even want help. 
Others, however, realize that the time it takes to decide to be helpful and kind, only requires a fraction of their time, and won't take anything out of, or away from them. 
I appreciate people like that.

People don't have to be nice, but when they are--especially first thing in the morning--it really makes your day...and inspires you to do something nice for someone else.  

#thelittlethings

No comments:

Post a Comment