'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

WEDNESDAY THOUGHTS: HARMONY




















I love music—all kinds of music.
I’ve loved to sing ever since I was a child. 
I’m I thank my parents for sharing their good taste in music. 
When I listened to records in our basement, I always sang along with the background vocalists. I always heard the harmonies. 
I love my "20 Feet From Stardom" experiences. The opportunity to work with people I've admired is such a gift. It's also nice when people have confidence in your ability to support them.
There's something very safe and secure about singing in the background. Obviously, you're not out front. There's no pressure.  You may be nestled in a nice comfortable space where you can take your shoes off, and not worry about wardrobe malfunctions, bad lighting, or wires all over the floor. You're there to be a help; to be encouraging; to fill empty spaces; to push another person to be their best. Sure, it's fun, but it's work, too. It's a job you just can't be lax about. It's precise. You're a part of a team. No one has to know your name. You have one task. Sing your part and sing it correctly. All you have to do is remember, listen, think, smile, look alive, and do your very best to form a perfect, seamless blend with your fellow singers. Your part can't be weak or missing. It's not about you. You don't have to make any sudden moves. Just stay in your space. 
Every now and then, you'll be challenged to step forward. Audiences tend to like it when the background singers have skills. They didn't come to hear you, but they do acknowledge when you get it right; when you respect their favorite performer enough to know their music and lyrics like you've been singing them your whole life. In the privacy of their home or cars or showers, they're background singers, too, and they know exactly where you're supposed to come in. You can tell, because they're singing with you from their seats.
Most background singers are quite happy where they are. Solos are nice, but hearing that ringing when the harmony is tight is a wonderful thing. The folks I know love harmony and actually prefer the sound of their own voice blended with the voices of others. Harmony is a blessing--in music and in life. It's great to deliberately achieve and maintain it.


No comments:

Post a Comment