'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

SNOW DAYS

It was such a pleasure to meet Valerie Simpson last Wednesday. She was so hospitable, kind and gracious to us.I'll never forget the concert she hosted at Long Island University.

My Vision sisters, Angie and Renee dropped me off at home when we returned from our bus trip to New York. It was 5AM last Thursday morning. I was so busy trying to hang on to the beautiful flowers Ms. Simpson had placed in our dressing room, as I headed to the front porch, that I forgot just how deep the snow was. I put one foot down and my leg sank, I fell and was having one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" experiences. There was no putting my hands down to brace myself. They just plunged into the crunchy snow, too. I was laughing so hard that I didn't realize Angie had gotten out of her car and run to my aid. We were both laughing. She grabbed my rolling bag and the bag I'd placed the flowers in. I'm still not sure how I got up, but I told myself that I would be shoveling the walk to the front porch as soon as I woke up.
It was a little after 9 when I got up and bundled up to go outside. I looked like a troll. I went to the garage, got the big shovel and started chopping at the snow so it would be easier to move. As I was tossing the snow, I laughed to myself. "Hmm. Last night you were eating smoked salmon and caviar; lump crab and cucumber, drinking Merlot, and singing with Valerie Simpson--and you don't drink. You don't shovel snow either, but you're out here. Hmmm. Maybe you're drunk. Maybe it was a dream..lol". I just didn't want anyone else to fall, so I kept chopping, scooping and tossing, but felt like I wasn't making any progress. I'd cleared about 2 feet of the walkway when I heard my dad's voice. "John or Mark are gonna come. I don't need you outside doing that! That's too much!" God knows I don't need to get sick or throw my back out. It took me no time to comply, head back to the garage and go inside, but I really wanted to clear the porch and steps if nothing else, so I did. I'm convinced. Snow removal is for the young...and machines....and the Sun. I guess my glee from the night before gave me a second wind and made me feel like I could move a mountain of snow. I'm still smiling--and leaving the shovel in the garage.
It was much more fun to rearrange the flowers...: )

No comments:

Post a Comment