'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Sunday, January 25, 2015

REMEMBERING MARSHA SUMNER

I had to break out the cassette player, and find some batteries. I'm so glad it still worked. I spent some time yesterday afternoon listening to the Marsha Sumner interviews I found...One was dated Sunday, May 5, 2002...It was two days before my first CD dropped. She invited me to be a guest on her show. She was so much fun, and always so encouraging...She told me that my mom had called in to Heaven 1580, and said she wanted to hear her daughter. It had been my mom's first time ever calling into a radio station, but Marsha was gracious, honored her request, and played a song from my CD. She told me, "I know how to deal with the mothers. I know how to hook them up!"...She talked about how much she admired Richard Smallwood and Vision..."Richard is the same all the time; someone I well respect--wonderful person--as well as a blessing to the Body of Christ"...She recalled a concert given on the parking lot of the now closed Circuit City, celebrating the release of "Persuaded: Live In Washington"...I love that she had the freedom to play what ministered to her. She wasn't just playing the music for others. She was enjoying it, too, and confident her listeners would be pleased...You never knew when you would hear a "God bless your heart" a "Glory, glory, glory!" or a "My, my, my" in the middle of a song...She was enjoying her time on air. "We're gonna go IN before we go out...I'm gonna go through and pick 'em...I'm a worshiper. All of 'em are good, but I'm looking for the one that's gonna carry me in!...Just go 'head and give 'em Jesus. They can't mess wit' cha!...Any time I can help you; hug your neck, you know where to find me...I try to bring ya'll nothing but the best."...On another cassette, I listened as she replayed War On Sin's "Couldn't Keep It To Myself", interrupted the track and said, "I haven't found my range yet, but that's alright. I'll fall in there somewhere. Come on ya'll! Sing!"
She was a consistent, enthusiastic, sincere cheerleader for so many of Washington, DC's gospel musicians and singers-- always admonishing everyone to keep God first.

Rest in peace, Marsha. Thank you.
"Love you most much!"

4 comments:

  1. Very good painting on Marsha Sumner. She was definitely a force in Gospel Radio that will not be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Marsha D. Sumner Memorial Scholarship has been established to assist high school students who are pursuing a career in radio broadcasting. For more information, contact The Scott Lee Foundation, Inc.,14625 Baltimore Avenue, Suite #279, Laurel, MD 20707. (877) 726-8533

    ReplyDelete
  3. #MyBlackHistory https://soundcloud.com/artsong28/marsha-sumner-interview

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful. I was just watching tv and thought about Marsha so I googled her and this tribute came up. She was a gem.

    ReplyDelete