'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Monday, May 23, 2011

MONDAY THOUGHTS: HIGHS AND LOWS



















Life is something. After the high of my daughter's commencement ceremony yesterday at Georgetown, sad news came this afternoon. These days, news of someone's death is taken lightly, until confirmed by a reliable source. I was hoping the news was another unfortunate misunderstanding; a tacky mistake, but it wasn't. 
First, my sister called; then Lucy; then Herman; then Robyn. 
I logged on to Facebook, and read one condolence message after another, speaking of shock and sadness, and promising prayer.

It was just like him to joke in his Facebook status on Saturday, "Lawd have mercy....Yall still here? Is dis de end?" 
It made me remember lines from one of his original songs, "You've got to work out your soul salvation. You've got to get it together for yourself...Get yourself together. Do it soon. Get yourself together- don't wait..."

In the 70's and 80's, he brought drums, guitars, and fantastic singers and musicians to Bethlehem Baptist Church, courtesy of the music departments of the city's Churches of God In Christ. 
He'd invite Dale Talbert and the Dimensionals, Kenny Spears, Tony Scales, Tim Linzy, Charlene Nelson, Danny McCrimmon, Pat Barnes and others. 
Clad in Super Fly-esque suits, and sporting a wild Afro, he brought contemporary gospel, and original music to the very traditional church on Howard Road. 
You could hear his foot stomping all the way down in the Maggie Brown Auditorium, as he tested the strength and endurance of the keys on the church's new grand piano.

He was an integral part of DC's pre-Bobby Jones gospel music television programming, as musical director of "Spread A Little Sunshine". 
It was nothing for him to play piano off camera, if a guest or group was missing a musician.

He was one of the few musicians I've ever known who always had (and kept) a good job, his own house, and car, and didn't depend solely upon a position at a church, or random gigs to support himself and his family. 
When he decided to record a musical project, it wasn't a matter of economics, or a desire for notoriety. 
He did it because he just wanted to.

In Young Adult Choir rehearsal one night in 1975, he wouldn't stop playing those chords until I started singing. 
I kept shaking my head, "No". 
I had never sung a solo, and liked it that way. 
I was hoping he'd just give up, and move on to the next choir member. I was about 15 years old, and really scared. He kept saying, "Come on. You can do it", so I just closed my eyes, tried to channel my inner Tramaine Hawkins, and have been singing ever since--with my eyes closed.

He was recently in the audience at Blues Alley. He loved music, and encouraged so many to love it as well.






Rest in peace, Crevante Anthony Proctor, Sr.
My condolences to his son, Crevante, of whom he was extremely proud, his family, friends and the New Bethany Baptist Church congregation and music department.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this about Crevante. I just found out this morning and I am in complete shock. He was a great, great person who will sorely be missed. His son "Mookie", should be proud to have had such a wonderful dad who bragged about him all of the time. Love you Crevante.
    Roslyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I was very, very close friend of Crevante. We had been dating for about 5 months. In that short time, he treated me with the upmost respect, such a nice gentlemen. He told me about you and your sister Lori how beautiful your voices are. We talked everyday on the phone and I was just with him two weeks ago when we attended the Universal Soul Circus at the Capital Plaza. We had a blast...because as you know he was a jokester (smile). Saturday, May 22nd was the last time I spoke to him. He was on his way to New Bethany for a prayer breakfast. Sunday after church he was to fly to Augusta Georgia for his nephew's graduation. I text him Sunday morning to wish him a safe trip... he never responded. Monday, I text him again..no respond...that's not like him because he always reponded or called me. It wasn't until I came home and looked on facebook that I found out he had passed away. I was devastated..couldn't believe it. This memorial day weekend we had plans to be together, but God had other plans for him. I know I will see Crevante again in Heaven and all those who have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior will see him again. Thank you for the nice things you've said about Crevante because he spoke very highly of you and your sister. In Christ Jesus...Linda Wood - Randallstown, MD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a link to an outstanding Phelan Marc photo montage of the Blues Alley performance by Lori Williams, dedicated to Crevante. http://vimeo.com/24344965

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the video of your sister Lori and it was so beautiful. Crevante was right when he said her voice is beautiful. Indeed God has truly blessed her. Thank you so much for sharing and May God Bess You.

    Linda Wood

    ReplyDelete