'Be anxious for nothing..." ~Philippians 4:6

Saturday, April 30, 2011

FULL CIRCLE

I like full circle-type things--things that further confirm faith in the belief that our steps are ordered and nothing happens by accident. Tonight I'll be performing at The B Spot-- Art collector and master framer Barry Lester's new gallery on Capitol Hill. It was formerly called "Attitude Exact" and was located on 8th Street/Barracks Row, not too far from the new location on Pennsylvania Avenue.

About 14 years ago, my "Vision" brother, Grammy winner Raymond Reeder phoned me and said, "I'm at the gallery. Get your stuff from under the bed and meet me here". I didn't know what or where the gallery was. What I did learn when I arrived, was that many of the paintings I'd done while in my classroom at P.R. Harris--paintings I'd given away to anyone who said, "I like that"--were somehow making their way to Attitude Exact Gallery. 
My work was being enclosed in spectacular, intricate frames, and when I would see them again, I hardly recognized them, if not for the fact that my signature was there. The frames were works of art in and of themselves. It seemed that EVERYONE knew about the gallery and the artistry of Barry Lester except me!

When we met, he looked at my work and told me he recognized my style because he had handled so much of my work before. He also recognized immediately that I had very little business sense and knew nothing about placing monetary value on my work. He promised to archive my work, and keep it safe. That he has done from then, until now. Even when I would need framing for my students' work, he wouldn't take my money. I always admired his philosophy that art and artists should be a part of the community, like they were during the Harlem Renaissance. Attitude Exact was always a lovely place to visit. Just being surrounded by such wonderful art was so inspiring. Like its predecessor, The B Spot doesn't disappoint.
On the walls of the new gallery are, among other contemporary artists, the works of one of my former elementary school students, Shaunte Gates. I get misty every time I see his work. It makes some of the not so good days as a teacher, worth every minute.

Tonight is really special to me. It's bringing together two things I love, Art and Music. I'm excited to just sing songs I like in the company of people I admire and appreciate, and people who appreciate art, in a space I find refreshing and lovely...the smoothies and flavored teas are divine, too....: )

No comments:

Post a Comment